Everything you need in one package to replace your internal optical drive with additional storage space.
Configuration flexibility is yours when you replace your MacBook or MacBook Pro's internal SuperDrive with the OWC Data Doubler. This custom engineered blue anodized aluminum bracket with attached PCB circuit board comes ready to mount your 2.5" hard drive or SSD drive.
Then, just install the entire assembly into a MacBook or MacBook Pro 5.25" optical drive bay. OWC Data Doubler makes it easy to custom design how you want your internal storage to perform. Installed drives are recognized like any other high speed SATA storage device and can be setup and partitioned using the Apple Disk Utility Program.
Just a few of the configuration options you can enjoy with Data Doubler:
- Creating an individual volume with its own desktop icon.
- Combining a new drive with the existing internal drive for one larger volume (SPAN).
- Combining a new matching drive with existing internal for high-performance RAID-0 Stripe volume.
- Configuring a new drive as a Time Machine® backup drive.
- Formatting one drive for the Mac OS and the other dedicated for Windows.
Please note: The Data Doubler comes with a 1 year warranty
Due to earlier 2009 and 2010 Unibody Machines having slower 3G SATA optical ports, 6G drives are not compatible, but 2011 and later machines have 6G SATA ports for both the HD bay and Optical bay. (in an earlier Unibody machine, we suggest fitting the faster drive in the 6G HD port, then fit your standard hard drive into the Optical port to maximise the speeds)
Please click here to see the installation video, depending on the machine type you are fitting it to.
(please note, this version of the Data Doubler is for the Unibody laptop ranges, not for the iMac ranges)